#7 National Museum of African American History and Culture

Back in March, I finally snagged Saturday tickets for June for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture! On a logistics note, timed tickets are still a must for weekends, but on weekdays you can walkup for tickets.


First of all, the building is very unique compared to other Smithsonian museums on the mall. It is meant to represent a three-tiered crown used in Yoruban art from West Africa and the bronze lattice pays tribute to intricate ironwork crafted by enslaved African Americans.

As suggested by the information desk, we started from the bottom up. The three underground levels represent history from the 1400's to today in chronological order working back up toward the surface.

Overall, the museum is a classic history museum with informational signs around artifacts. Special items that jumped out at me included:

Slave shackles
A slave auction block - more shackles are hovering on the mid-left side
Powder horn of black Revolutionary War soldier Prince Simbo
Rare photo of younger Harriet Tubman - read more about its significance here.

A shawl given to Harriet Tubman by Queen Victoria

Other notable exhibits in the historical section included an actual segregated train car, Emmett Till’s casket, and civil rights demonstration videos. Particularly moving to me was the quote of Mamie Till on the wall, echoing Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere": 

"Two months ago I had a nice apartment in Chicago. I had a good job. I had a son. When something happened to the Negroes in the South I said, 'That's their business, not mine.' Now I know how wrong. I was. The murder of my son has shown me that what happens to any of us, anywhere in the world, had better be the business of us all."

After the history galleries, we grabbed a filling BBQ lunch from the cafeteria and then visited this surprising reflection gallery water feature.


Upstairs are galleries focused on modern day African American culture and achievements in religion, military, sports, and the arts. Pierre-Antoine loved the sports room and I loved the jazz section!

Michael Jordan's 1996 Championship jersey
Louis Armstrong's trumpet

The NMAAHC is a wonderful addition to the National Mall Smithsonian museums, shining a light on powerful but often neglected American stories. I left feeling uplifted by what we've overcome as a nation and inspired to carry on the fight for justice for everyone.

Item 7 Completed 6/15/19
12/43 items complete = 27%

Comments

Popular Posts